Hello, I am Saoirse from Perfect Irish Trip (https://www.perfectirishtrip.
Traveling across Ireland can be done in a very eco-friendly manor. We are very lucky here that many people and business owners are aiming to make the world a better place. Dublin alone has two hotels that have won many awards in sustainability across Europe, one of which has been leading the way in sustainability for many years. Here is a list of 5 of the most eco-friendly places for you to stay while touring Ireland or even if you live in Ireland and you want a night away, we have made this list by covering somewhere to stay in almost each of the four corners of Ireland.
- The Iveagh Garden Hotel. Europe’s first sustainable city centre hotel, with all power required for energy, heat and water sourced underground from a river, prices start from €139+ per night.
- Sandymount Hotel Winner of ‘Europe’s Leading Green Hotel’ from 2017-2019. 95% of the hotel waste is recycled. Compostable & biodegradable coffee cups and straws are used for conferences and large events for coffee on the go. Soap and toiletries left by guests are distributed through the ‘Clean The World’ recycling program. Modifications were made to reduce water consumption, part of which included changing all showers to aerator showers, which saved water consumption by 47% per guest, other sustainable modifications in the hotel include obtaining 26% of energy from renewable sources.
- Slieve Bloom Manor Eco-Friendly B&B Slieve Bloom Manor operates with a green earth-friendly ethos behind every move. Nestled in the beauty of Killarney Slieve Bloom Manor offers a cosy and green accommodation option to your stay. Any waste then can be recycled is, for washing & drying an outdoor clothesline is used for all bed linen and towels to save energy. All food is locally sourced, and you won’t find any bottled water here, all the water is sourced fresh from the spring below. Part of the power throughout the manor works from solar power energy.
- Gregan’s Castle Hotel If you want a bit of eco-friendly luxury on your trip, a stay in Gregan’s. Castle Hotel is highly recommended. The beautiful 18th century Manor House has been welcoming guests since the 1940s. Nestled in the heart of the Burren in Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare Gregans Castle Hotel offers beautiful picturesque views from every angle.
- Hemp Cottage For an eco-stay outside the village of Crossgar, Downpatrick, The Hemp Cottage offers just that. Made from hemp and lime (a material made for walls and support), a green roof to provide a thriving environment biodiversity and offers a unique habitat for wildlife and made with all locally sourced timber for structure. The Hemp Cottage provides a healthy and natural stay in nature, where you can even hear the soothing sound of the nearby river from the house.
These are only a few examples of some lovely eco-friendly places to stay in Ireland. If you would like more examples or you would like help preparing a plan/ itinerary of where you would like to stay in Ireland you can look at our Eco-Friendly Tour of Ireland HERE or have a look at our Perfect Irish Trip Packages HERE.